Monday, May 28, 2012

Mulching

Mom wants things as low maintenance as possible.  It is time to seriously apply mulch to any exposed dirt.  Last summer my sister and I cleaned out, tilled, purchased plants, and installed plants into this flower bed....

The plants are now well established.  The above picture was taken last week.  Right before I installed 1000 pounds of mulch.


Lovely!  And the dark mulch shows off the plants really well.


Next up was the rose and peony bed in the garden.  I installed another 1000 pounds on Sunday.


The pink tree peony is very happy with the change and is blooming vigorously.


I have now installed 1 ton of mulch total (it's actually compost, but we are using it as mulch) and still have at least 1 ton to go to cover most of the vegetable garden and any other exposed dirt areas.  I am also collecting all the grass clippings and mulching all the pathways in the garden.  The paths are now very quiet when you walk through them.... very zen and meditative.  Maybe I should lay out the grass paths in a labyrinth!  and then we could walk the labyrinth (with coffee in hand) to meditate and solve our problems.


I love the one in the Chartres Cathedral.


Since this would take up most of the planting space in the garden, I don't think Mom would go for it.




No comments: