Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dress Done!

Here it is!  I wound up cutting off about 8" from the length, so it is not quite as vintage-y looking as it could have been, but I think it is more wearable at this length.

There are some discrepancies between the picture on the front of the pattern and the actual dress.  Most noticeably in the sleeve head.  I am going to try pressing the seam allowance into the body to get some of that puff to de-puff.  I even took the sleeves out once and trimmed some off the cap area, but I think I need to reduce the width of the sleeve at the cap as well.  This would require a total recut, so I think I will try some seam allowance manipulation and serious pressing before I take it apart again.  Also the bodice is more poofy that I thought it would be.  It has tucks at the waist rather than darts.  Again, the pattern picture that I found is much more smooth.  Also the model appears to have a 19" waist and sloping shoulders which probably helps the overall proportions.  So not my shape.



I agonized over the button choices and have to resist the urge to go buy more buttons... which I do NOT need.
Assortment of grey/green

Pearly?
Love the hot pink....
Not enough of the roses for the whole front
I settled on these large black 4-hole buttons
Unfortunately I didn't quite have enough, so I had to space them out a little farther.  On a women's button front, you need one button in line with the apex of the bust to keep things from gaping.  This is especially true if you are larger busted.  You will notice that I do not have a button at that location on this dress as I ran out of buttons.  I have a snap sewn in the placket at that location.  I have several vintage dresses that use tiny snaps and hook-and-eye closures to keep things closed or flat.


No comments: