Saturday, September 07, 2013

Not in Portland for the Fall

The blog has been quiet once again.   Always during transitions, I seem to drop off the blogging radar.  August was busy with prep for school for both the kids and me.  I had a lot of work to do on the some of the lesson plans and online learning spaces ahead of Fall semester at the University of Idaho.  But I got it done and passed my motorcycle class at the same time, so I am now officially endorsed!  More on that later.

I am now in Idaho teaching again.  In my spare time, I am working on clearing and prepping some property up here for a future project.  Hint:  The project does not involve a sewing machine.

The work is a lot like Minecraft:

We clear the wood.....


...in Mincraft we get to wear cool iron armor though....


There will be some stones to deal with in the future.  For now we are stacking all rocks by the walls that are remains on the root cellar...


... in Minecraft the rocks are square and stack much more easily.  Again, you get to wear cool armor in Minecraft.  I tore my shirt on a thorn tree.  I wished that I had had iron chest armor.  I do have a hard hat though which is kind of like a helmet.


This is what the property looks like in the spring.  There is somewhere around 40 years of overgrowth that needs to be cleared.  We have opened up all the access roads so we can now get to all the pasture areas for weed and mowing maintenance.  We are now clearing around the house and getting ready to dismantle the house and salvage as much wood as we can.


Fortunately we do not need to mine for iron and make our own iron pickaxes and shovels.  I can find those tools in the garage.




No comments: