Friday, May 12, 2006

New favorite things

I have been an avid reader of blogs for the past year. I have come across several things that various bloggers seem to absolutely love. I have tried two of them over the past week.
The first is Green and Black's Organic chocolate. So purchased two bars to test- dark chocolate with currants and hazelnuts, and dark chocolate with almonds. I have no pictures to post, because in my current pregnant state, I eagerly munched them right down. Of course taking advantage of the high iron content of dark chocolate. They are (were) every bit as good as people have been saying! I now will have to purchase the other flavors (I'm particulary interested in the caramel). Maybe next time I'll have time to take a picture. The packaging is lovely.
The second thing is anything to do with Pride and Prejudice- book, mini series, or various movies. I am now ashamed to admit that I have never read the book nor any Jane Austen for that matter. I read other types of classic books (H.G. Wells, Ray Bradbury, Shakespeare, etc), but not any Austen. After all the ravings after the most recent movie came out, I thought I had better explore this particular work. I treated myself to an OnDemand movie of the Keira Knightly Pride and Prejudice . Amazing!!! I loved the story and characters, Lizzie's parents, and, of course, Mr. Darcy (who wouldn't!?!?). I have heard rumblings that the BBC miniseries is actually superior to this movie in terms of accuracy and character development, but it is 5 hours in length total. So for now, I have added a DVD of Pride and Prejudice to my birthday/anniversay/just-buy-it-for-me wish list. Did I mention that the costumes are stunning?!?!.... links have been added for shopping convenience.

2 comments:

lorinda said...

You will LOVE Jane Austen; she is my favorite! Way ahead of her time. The new P&P movie was really a treat, and the BBC miniseries is a must-see. You're right, they had much more time to explore the characters in the mini-series. For more Jane Austen movie yumminess, see Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson! Alan Rickman!), both Emmas (Gwyneth and Kate Beckinsale) and best of all Persuasion (with Amanda Root). It's my all-time favorite. Sets, music, costuming, acting--all wonderful.

Sijbrich said...

I loved the movie, too. One of my favorite parts about it was the music. Heavenly. I could watch that movie over and over and...you get the idea.