Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The great orchid growning contest....

About 5 years ago, the spouse and I went to Hawaii and brought back orchids for ourselves, my parents, and the in-laws. My father-in-law,Mac, is a natural green thumb and can grow anything... so he saw it as a challenge. So far I have killed all the orchids we had. My mom still has hers, but it has not rebloomed. Mac's died, but he was able to get it to bloom once which he showed off every time we were over. However, when Mac was yard sale-ing, he found someone selling a bunch of orchids. He bought some for himself and for me (to replace the crop I had decimated). I have had my orchid for 4 years with nothing. Maybe the occasional new leaf, but nothing bloom-like... until this week.

I have no idea what I did. It has been sitting in the same window for about a year. It hasn't been fertilized in probably 2 years, and I have a hard time remembering to water it. Maybe it thrives on neglect. For now I'm enjoying the beautiful bloom... I don't know if it will do it again.

No comments: