Wednesday, August 30, 2006

When it rains....

These last few days have been unbelievably hectic. My parents were supposed to arrive yesterday, Tuesday, to help out around the house and watch Elsie while I rested. Mom called a little before 7am to tell me that Dad was in the hospital with chest pains and that they would not be coming. Since I'm so far along in my pregnancy, I can't leave Portland, so I couldn't fly or drive home to be with Mom. Then the concrete cutter arrived... late... and set up to start cutting... which meant that Elsie and I had to be out of the house for a couple of hours. I was exhausted from not getting enough sleep and the early phone call and worrying, that I really just wanted to lay on the couch. But out we went to run some errands and have lunch. When we came home, Mom called to say that they were Life-Flighting my Dad to Spokane. So as Dad was taking his first helicopter ride, I was on my way to the hospital to have my contractions monitored. Everything is fine... baby is fine, my contractions weren't too close together and I'm not dangerously dialated, so they sent me home to rest and drink lots of water. Dad is doing much better. He has a small blockage that they are hoping to treat with medication, but, as of this morning, they may be putting in a stint... he is still having some pain. My sister was able to fly into Spokane to be with Mom so she is not there alone.
And this morning a whole team of plumbers have arrived to replumb the house. So there is much noise of jackhammers (for the new floor drains) and drilling (all the pipes are being moved into the joists). We also have no water... save for what is in the pitchers on the counter for drinking/cooking and what is in the bathtub for flushing the toilet. Tony, the head plumber, has promised water service when they leave today at 4pm. Good thing I got up early and took that shower.
AND today is Miss Elsie's 4th birthday....

Thankfully my mother-in-law offered to host the party at her house. I can't get things cleaned up, and we have a lot of things from the basement stored in the dining room. I'm basically out of room for stashing things. However, I need to bake a lady bug cake... I was going to do that this morning, but the jack hammer is making so much noise the I think the cake might fall. So I think I'm going to wait until that phase is over to bake the cake. A concave lady bug would be no fun.
So with all this chaos and drama going on, a wonderful distraction arrived in the mail. My first issue of Marie Claire Idees! I can't believe that I have never purchased or subscribed to this publication. It is packed full of beautiful crafts and lovely things to make. I found out about it on Posie Gets Cozy. There are such inspiring images... maybe I'll finally make something today.

No comments: